Following is the agenda for our club meeting this Saturday 13 January 2018:
- Tech Update (Greg)
- How to create a post on the OTC website (a brief refresher) (Greg)
- LibreOffice Update – two youtube tech channel video’s (Greg)
- New features in LibreOffice 5.4.4
- Info regarding LibreOffice standards (from an original LO founder)
- 10″ break (All)
- 2018 Annual “Show and do Tell”
- The small but “mighty” Intel NUC . . . (Trudy)
- Open Microphone . . . any club member with new hardware or products are welcome to share a brief review
- Prize Drawing (Dennis F & Trudy)
- Lunch Bunch Get-Together at Village Inn (108th & L Street)
For all Windows users . . . in addition to the official MS patches, there are a second set of required actions to fix the Meltdown & Spectre security flaws.
Be careful as these updates are needed for the UEFI & BIOS firmware update & can brick your PC if done incorrectly!
See the link referenced below to pull up the HTC blog article and the video link from ZDnet.
Link to HTC Blog Article . .
This is the most “widespread” security issue affecting virtually all PC’s for past 10-15 years. To date, no known infections – – but the potential is there.
ALL# cpu architectures have a degree of vulnerability (even phones).
# But it’s been reported that Raspberry Pi PC’s are immune from these flaws!
Initial patch target date is: Tuesday January 9, 2018 (for all major OS’s).
Link to Meltdown/Spectre Security Article
Info on Ubuntu based Patches
More detailed explanation about the issue – what it is and why Intel is most affected (different design, faster processing of page calls).
Link to HTG article (very good synopsis)
Another good article link below:
CSO Article Link on Meltdown & Spectre . .
Here’s a more complete (technical) explanation:
Spectre & Meltdown explained . .