OTC Meeting Agenda (Draft)
Saturday 9 June 2018
- Monthly Tech Update (Greg)
- “Elementary OS” . . a modern Linux distro noted for elegance and simplicity. (Greg)
- Google “forms”. (Ralph)
- Club Drawing (Trudy and Dennis F.)
- Potential (future) Agenda Items
- How to setup and manage a Home Security system via your PC,
- Using Virtual Workspaces on Windows and Linux (need volunteer to demo the Windows methodology),
- TiddlyWiki – a unique non-linear notebook for capturing, organising and sharing complex information,
- Parted Magic – a universal data rescue tool (works on Windows and Linux PC’s),
- VeraCrypt – a security program for encrypting and decrypting your data safely on your home PC’s or on the cloud,
- How to Partition your Hard Drive (HDD) or Solid State Drive (SSD) using “Gparted”,
- How to transfer files from PC to PC via your wireless network using “LAN Share”,
- More to Come . . . .
Dell recently added more Linux goodness to their line of laptops . . . All support Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) versions of Ubuntu from 16.04 (aka Xenial Xerus) to 18.04 (aka Bionic Beaver).
Note that “the Beaver” runs Gnome3 versus “Xenial” which runs the classic Unity desktop. Dell will ship with your choice.
For reference, pls see screenshots (3) below:
Below are two slightly customized Ubuntu desktops w/Unity classic DE . .
Below is the new Gnome3 Shell desktop . . showing the apps view screen . . this is the standard desktop now on Ubuntu 18.04 (the latest release) . .
There is still a substantial “underground demand” for Smart Phones that are unencumbered by the Android (google) and IoS (apple) phone Operating Systems and hardware.
Thus . . . the Quest continues . . .
Will these phones by Purism succeed in the duopoly world of phones? Well, many have tried and run into a brick wall. Companies include Canonical, Mozilla etc.
But play the video below to get an overview about the company behind this effort of “Open” hardware and software devices (PC’s, Tablets and Phones).
Toward the end of the video, the free-phone (carrier-less) plan is introduced (it’s 100% doable) unless the Government(s) erect roadblocks to protect the status quo (the carrier monopolists).
So, this is a very informative video . . .
note: Bionic Beaver is the moniker for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (released on April 24 and supported until April 2023).
Now, you can recover your data from a Windows PC that refuses to boot due to some malware or just a hosed configuration . . . If you have data worth saving . . . this article is worth a read and follow up.
I will be covering these points in more detail at a future meeting – – – no need to pay some local tech shop $150 or so. Once data is retrieved, then a standard Windows install can be initiated.