Hopefully, we’ll be able to do an actual “Winter” meeting next month! So, our agenda will be as listed for the January meeting.
Location: Sump Papillion Library.
Date/Time: Saturday 2//9/2019 at 0930 till aprox 1130.
A G E N D A
Monthly Tech Update (Greg)
Intro to Ubuntu Linux 101 . . (Greg) . . Key Distinctions between running a Windows PC versus Ubuntu. This is about getting on the “right path” and not carrying any unneeded Windows baggage.
Q & A and Opportunity for suggesting new presentation topics (including presenting if so inclined).
A G E N D A – Omaha Tech Connect Nov 10, 2018 – start time about 09:15 to 09:30.
- Call to Order (Bev)
- Recap of Club History & Decision to Retire (Trudy & Dennis)
- Canvass Members regarding starting new Computer Club (still OTC for now), but based on Ubuntu based systems including Google’s ChromeOS.
- No Dues
- Same Meeting Schedule (2nd Sat. each month)
- Focus on the Ubuntu “home” based user (not for Linux SysAdmins)
- Two Hour Meetings (versus about 3 hours for Slugo/OTC). Times would be 0930 till 1130
- Standard Agenda of:
- Tech News – Tips – Q&A
- One main presentation
- Socialization and refreshments
NOTE: the meeting will NOT be at Sump Library in Papillion! It WILL be at the Omaha “Saddlebrook Library” instead.
Same time . . in the “Program” room. The Saddlebrook Library is in the Saddlebrook Elementary School. Just turn left upon entering the front doors . . .
A G E N D A . . .
Monthly Tech News & Roundtable
Demo of the current release of Ubuntu 18.04 (aka “the Bionic Beaver”). This is considered by many to be the “Premier” Linux distribution with a solid base of 30-35 million users across the globe. I will be running it off an external SSD via the usb v3 port.
Demo of free “classic” TV shows from the 50’s & 60’s which are hosted on Youtube.
Door Prize drawings and update on Nov & Dec club meetings
Hope to see everyone there!
Here is the meeting Agenda for this coming Saturday, Sept 8 2018 at 09:15.
> Virtual Private Networks (VPN’s) – what are they, why is it a good thing and how is one set up (Windows & Linux setup is only slightly different) [Trudy]
> Solus – an independent Linux distro targeted for speed and efficiency. This can be run as a Windows replacement . . OR . . as a secondary backup/rescue OS. [Greg]
> “Tech Topics” review. [Greg]
> Prize raffle. [Trudy & Dennis F.]
Another meeting is coming up Sat Aug 11 at 0900 – – Sump Library Papillion!
Here are the planned meeting topics:
Tech News and Web Posts Review (including recap on how to generate a new post and how to edit an existing post) – – Greg
Round Robin Table-Talk . . . “What are the top 2 or 3 programs you run and how frequently do you use them”?? PC, Smart Phone or Tablet – – Beverly
E-Mail Woes – – Steve
If time permits, we’ll be viewing a “Slide-Show” of Dennis F’s “Alaska Adventures” . . . .
Door Prize Drawings – – Dennis F and Trudy
OTC Meeting Agenda – 7/14/2018
Location: Papillion Sump Library
Time: about 0915-0920 pending setup
> General Interest Tech News [Greg]
> Home Security Systems Setup & Info [Dennis E.]
> Setting Up a NUC mini form-factor PC [Trudy]
> Club Drawings [Trudy & Dennis F]
OTC Meeting Agenda (Draft)
Saturday 9 June 2018
- Monthly Tech Update (Greg)
- “Elementary OS” . . a modern Linux distro noted for elegance and simplicity. (Greg)
- Google “forms”. (Ralph)
- Club Drawing (Trudy and Dennis F.)
- Potential (future) Agenda Items
- How to setup and manage a Home Security system via your PC,
- Using Virtual Workspaces on Windows and Linux (need volunteer to demo the Windows methodology),
- TiddlyWiki – a unique non-linear notebook for capturing, organising and sharing complex information,
- Parted Magic – a universal data rescue tool (works on Windows and Linux PC’s),
- VeraCrypt – a security program for encrypting and decrypting your data safely on your home PC’s or on the cloud,
- How to Partition your Hard Drive (HDD) or Solid State Drive (SSD) using “Gparted”,
- How to transfer files from PC to PC via your wireless network using “LAN Share”,
A G E N D A – OTC Meeting Saturday 4/14/2018
 . . . Tech Update (Greg)
 . . . Youtube Subscriptions & Channels (Greg)
 . . . Break (about 10-15 minutes)
 . . . Babbel Language Training Demo (Greg)
 . . . LibreOffice Tips – Printing (Trudy)
 . . . Prize Drawing – (Trudy & Dennis)
 . . . Lunch Bunch Meetup @ Village Inn (108th & L)